Wednesday 15 June 2011

Celibacy and former Anglicans

There is always heated debate about whether the celibacy exemption for Anglican clergy becoming Catholic priests is fair. The newly established Ordinariate seems to consist mainly of married men. What about those Catholic priests who desire to marry but can't?

I think these discussions often begin with an entirely secular understanding of what celibacy is. The idea implicit here is that celibacy is hard and lonely. Priests who are not married are not fulfilled. They have given up the natural joys of family life. Celibacy is something fundamentally negative.

Without wanting to underestimate the sacrifice this decision involves, I have never felt celibates to be anything other than deeply joyful people. They have given up the one thing society says we can't live without - an intimate relationship with another human being - and yet far from being strangers to love, they seem to overflow with it. Visit any contemplative community and you will see what I mean. Their love life is rooted in Jesus himself. Paradoxically, by renouncing a particular kind of human love, the celibate receives more love in return - from God who Himself is love.

The exemption granted to Anglicans seeking full communion with the Church is only unfair if celibacy is seen as something negative. In fact it is quite the reverse. Celibacy imparts a unique spiritual fruitfulness to the priesthood. Rather than begrudging former Anglicans their married status I think we should sympathise with their particular struggles. Many married clergy (and particularly their spouses) have described how difficult it is to balance two vocations.

For these reasons I think the Western Church will retain celibacy as the norm while continuing to offer a generous flexibility in certain cases.

5 comments:

  1. "Visit any contemplative community and you will see what I mean."

    Do you think perhaps the community replaces the human relationships given up; the individual priest, isolated somewhat in his priest house, is in a different position?
    Jesuit Father Gerard O'Mahony author of 21 books has written of his struggles with depression.
    I'm not sure celibacy is always conducive to our spiritual journey. Would it not be better to make it a matter of choice?
    A survey of views on this would be helpful. Is there such a study?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Visit any contemplative community and you will see what I mean."

    I wonder if living in the community reduces the loneliness of the celibate life?
    The isolated priest is perhaps a different matter.
    Should we consider making it a question of choice?
    You say "celibacy as the norm" but will it be possible to choose in due course?

    ReplyDelete
  3. From what I understand historically, belonging to a community was always the intention even for secular clergy. I think that many of the problems with celibacy have arisen from the kind of isolation you describe. Perhaps we should return to this model. Fr Jerome Bertram writes about it in his book "the common life of the secular clergy".
    I would still maintain that marriage and priesthood are all-consuming vocations that on the whole should be kept distinct.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry that came twice. The first one seemed to disappear into the aether!
    I've told a couple about the new kid on the block(you) and the name of the blog but I haven't been able to visit directly from a Google search for Little Voice. I have had to visit you through your A Reluctant Sinner comment. What am I doing wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks very much. I only started this the other day so I am amazed I have any readers. I'm still learning with regard to the technology so I'm not sure why it is not showing up on Google. Maybe I havn't done enough posts yet. It does seem to work if you type in Little Voice + title of post.

    ReplyDelete